MLS International Elementary Program: Math
Features of the Everyday Mathematics program
- 1. Real-life Problem Solving. Everyday Mathematics emphasizes the application of mathematics to real world situations. Numbers, skills and mathematical concepts are not presented in isolation, but are linked to situations and contexts that are relevant to their everyday lives. The program also provides numerous suggestions for incorporating mathematics into daily classroom routines and other subject areas.
- 2. Balanced Instruction. Each Everyday Mathematics lessons includes time for whole-group instruction as well as small group, partner or individual activities. These activities balance teacher-directed instruction with opportunities for open-ended, hands-on explorations, long-term projects and on-going practice.
- 3. Multiple Methods for Basic Skills Practice. Everyday Mathematics provides numerous methods for basic skills practice and review. These include written and oral fact drills, mental math routines, practice with fact triangles (flash cards of fact families), daily sets of review problems called math boxes, homework, timed tests and a wide variety of math games.
- 4. Emphasis on Communication. Throughout the Everyday Mathematics program students are encouraged to explain and discuss their mathematical thinking, in their own words. Opportunities to verbalize their thoughts and strategies give children the chance to clarify their thinking and gain insights from others.
- 5. Enhanced Home/School Partnerships for grades 1-5. Daily Home Links provide opportunities for family members to participate in the students’ mathematical learning. Study Links are provided for most lessons and all grades include periodic letters to help keep parents informed about their children’s experience with Everyday Mathematics.
- 6. Appropriate Use of Technology. Everyday Mathematics teaches students how to use technology appropriately. The program includes many activities in which learning is extended and enhanced through the use of calculators.